The Art of Producing Masters
An Engineer/Producer Forum at the NAMM 2012, Hot Zone
Friday January 20, 2:00 – 5:00 PM
Anaheim Convention Center, CA
HOT Zone – Room 203
NAMM HOT ZONE panel presented by studioexpresso: The Art of Producing Masters
l-r: Claris Sayadian-Dodge, studioexpresso; Brad Lunde, Trans Audio Group, Jay Kaufman, Brent Fischer
l-r: Curt Bisquera, Greg Penny, Peter Schwartz, Rafa Sardina
A master class on music arranging and meeting of the minds featuring some of the world’s top studio engineers, producers, and musicians discussing the latest tips, techniques, and issues affecting the world of studio recording and production. Hosted by studioexpresso, this forum will bring together the technical brains behind artists like Lady Gaga, Prince, Usher, Stevie Wonder and Elton John.
A special Trans Audio Group high-end audio playback system with ATC speakers will be used to demonstrate recent and favorite recordings by our panelists.
Brent Fischer (Usher, Michael Jackson, Al Jarreau)
Arranging Commercial Music — How to Differentiate Your Sound
2:00 – 3:15 Master class
3:30 — 5:00: Panel & Playback
Rafa Sardina (Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder)
Greg Penny (Elton John, KD Lang)
Curt Bisquera, (Elton John, Sarah Mclachlan)
Peter Schwartz (Mattel, David Bowie, Enya)
Jay Kaufman – Kaufman & Associates Award-winning studio designer
Brad Lunde – Trans Audio Group, Representing Choice Audio Gear
Moderator: Claris Sayadian-Dodge, studioexpresso
December 5, 2011, Los Angeles – Hear credited and award-winning music guests share their take on today’s music production trends and offer helpful hints to stay on top of your game and grow your business. Panel will be moderated by Claris Sayadian-Dodge, founder and editor of studioexpresso, artists’ gateway to the world’s top music makers.
- What’s in producing master-quality recordings?
- When to hire a music arranger?
- What can the right engineer/mixer do for your session and where to find them?
- How to find gear the pros use for your studio without breaking your bank
- When does pre-production begin and hear what’s the 1,2,3s of a pre-pro session
- How to build your client base?
- Listen to playback of few timeless recordings and ask questions!
- Curt Bisquera
Curt Bisquera has become one of the most sought after drummers in recording business. What may not be common knowledge, however, is that Curt also writes music. He co-wrote music for the Denise Richards show “It’s Complicated” for the E! Channel.Bisquera is also versed in reading music, programming and drum editing (Pro Tools or Logic). Mr Bisquera’s credits include Bonnie Raitt, Elton John, Mick Jagger, Ricky Martin, Tom Petty, Paula Abdul, Queen Latifah, Josh Groban, Destiny’s Child, Leonard Cohen and Dave Stewart, to name a few. Film/TV credits include: ER (season 97’-98’), Four Weddings And A Funeral, Legally Blonde, 101 Dalmations, to name a few. Curt hosts “DC LIVE” podcasts streamed online at www.drumchannel.com and you can hear him on the movie: Despicable Me produced by Pharell and Hans Zimmer. Curt’s CD entitled “CMB”….designed for licensing for TV and Film is available at: http://cdbaby.com/cd/dailygroove
- Brent Fischer music credits are on over 30 million CDs for Pop, R&B and Jazz royalty such as Usher, Raphael Saadiq, Michael Jackson, Prince, Al Jarreau, and Dianne Reeves, to name a few. Brent Fischer has carved a niche in the world of orchestral arranging, having worked with father, composer/arranger Clare Fischer for over three decades. Brent is currently on the advisory board of Fame Wizard, a revolutionary internet music services company dedicated to independent artist career development. Brent Fischer is also Director of the Clare Fischer Bands, which include: The Clare Fischer Big Band, The Clare Fischer Latin Jazz Group, The Clare Fischer Jazz Corps, a unique 30 piece ensemble, and The Clare Fischer Clarinet Choir. Most recently, Brent produced and directed Clare Fischer’s 50th and 51st albums released on September 2011.
- Jay Kaufman has worked with many music and film greats, amassing credits that includes: John Mayer, Martin Scorsese, Robert Altman, Danny Elfman, and David Bowie. In 2005, Jay formed Kaufman & Associates leveraging over 30 years of experience to provide his clients with the ultimate in studio design services including facilities design, acoustical consulting and A/V systems design and integration. Mr Kaufman who began his career as an independent film mixer and recording engineer, has worked at SMS Digital Post as COO. As Ocean Way Recording Studios’ Director of Operations and Chief Engineer, Jay played a principle role in that studios’ success. Mr Kaufman is nominated for a TEC Award for his work at The Bridge Recordin and Pianella Studios.
- Brad Lunde founded TransAudio Group, the premier distributor of high-end recording gear to the US and Worldwide. TransAudio helps the industry’s inventors build a business through product development working with top level end users and selling to the trade. TransAudio product lines include the best of the best: A-Designs (USA), ATC Loudspeakers (UK), Bock Audio (USA), Chameleon Labs (USA), Geoffrey Daking & Co (USA) Drawmer (UK), George Massenburg Labs (GML USA), SoundField Microphones (UK) and Tube-Tech (Denmark) to name a few
- Greg Penny
Greg Penny remixed in 5.1 some of Elton John’s vast catalogue . He is currently the president of Flower Records, producing records by Twin Trip and Poperetta. Greg is founding member of Tokyo Project13, an anime TV series surrounding fictitious good/evil characters with rich musical content.
- Rafa Sardina is a Los Angeles based Eleven-Time Grammy-winner mixer/engineer and producer with a versatile skills and eclectic credits to include: Stevie Wonder, Lady Gaga, Shakira, Dr. Dre, Luis Miguel, Beyonce and Alejandro Sanz. Sardina who works in major studios in LA and abroad, founded Fishbone Music Productions in 2006 and “Afterhours” studio in Woodland Hills, CA.
- Peter Schwartz
Composer, orchestrator, arranger, pianist, synthesist, and musical director, Peter’s client roster reads like a Who’s Who of musical artists and performers. With a career spanning 25 years, Peter’s keyboard work, synth programming, and orchestrations have been sought after by a wide range of producers including Phil Ramone, Josh Deutsch, and remixers David Morales, Frankie Knuckles, and Shep Pettitbone. Peter’s musical director credits include David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys, Enya, Madonna, and many others. In more recent years Peter has been making his mark as film score composer, adding Disneytoons, Warner Bros., Fox, and Mattel to his filmography.
- Claris Sayadian-Dodge founded studioexpresso.com in 2000, a production resource for developing artists. Dodge is the publisher and chief editor of studioexpresso’s monthly eZine for the recording industry and looks after an Award-winning roster of producers with the affiliated C Artist Management. Past positions include: Management III, PMK, Rogers & Cowan Public Relations, Ocean Way studios, studio bau:ton. Claris supports Grammy’s MusiCare and sits on the board of a Film Foundation dedicated to documentaries on human rights. She has a BA degree in business and continues to create professional networking events to raise awareness and funds for art and music education programs and worthy causes.
Sign me up for news on upcoming events here!